I'm so glad that I did. If you're in Sydney, hop in the car. It's on again tomorrow and it is free. I think you'll be blown away by the wonderful submissions from younger quilters right around Australia. I'd like to show you a few quilts (with permission, of course) that were hanging at the exhibition.
This year's theme was How Does Your Garden Grow which opened the doors to a diverse range of quilting styles and techniques. There were four ages categories - primary, secondary, 18-24 and 25-35 for amateur quilters. They rounded up a bucket load of prizes including sewing machines for winners and their schools along with books and magazines.
Quite honestly though, I felt like the biggest winner coming by and seeing the beautiful work. Young minds have such a fresh way of approaching fabric. They aren't bound by rules. They just go for it. I found it inspiring and I know so many others who attended did as well. It was a great chance to chat with so many of Sydney's quilters!
Clare's quilt, Ripe and Blooming. Read more about it on her mum's blog.
Sofia's quilt, Colour Bursts. I'm sure her mum will blog it soon!
Kim Holt's Flowering Trellis.
Like all good quilts, this comes with a wonderful story of a quilt that was too big. Then came too many blocks cut incorrectly. The result is quite amazing though, isn't it? I love the strip pieced background with blue diamonds which mimic pops of sky. It was a perfect foundation for the appliqued garden with flowers and butterflies.
And there were so many more! I believe I heard there were over 70 entries including an entire QLD kindergarten class that not only made little quilts, but also planted a garden to go with it.
Along with the basket load of prizes from Brother, Material Obsession and Quilter's Companion, winners also received patchwork rosettes made by Cath Babidge. I've never been an exhibition quilter, myself. If they gave these away for every contest, I'd definitely enter every time...
| Fabric Rosettes for the winners made by Cath Babidge |
Confession - I might have raved a bit too much about the rosettes at the show. After the prizes were all handed out, Cath came and handed one too me. Clearly, I was giddy and excited about them. I was loud and animated. I'm a very lucky girl. I'm going to hang it up by my sewing machine.
I'm past the age of entering (I see 39 charging at me quickly in October!), but I know I have many young readers out there. Keep your ears open. I didn't pick up all the details, but I think this will be a biennial event. You can check with the Quilter's Guild of NSW to find out more. If you're in Sydney pop over this avro or tomorrow from 10-4. It's free!
The quilts you have showcased looked wonderful and I am a little jealous of you being able to view all of the entries in person. I entered one myself, as it happens, and I would love to see a picture of it hanging since I couldn't get up to Sydney this weekend to visit the exhibition. I wonder if you happened to picture it?
ReplyDeleteI was pretty impressed with Clare's quilt when I saw it on her mum's blog. I really like that garden trellis one too. Those rosettes are pretty awesome. I'm a bit sad I am too old to enter. Maybe one day one (or more) of my kids can enter one of these.
ReplyDeleteI hope they continue to run this competition, I only just started quilting this year and heard about the comp in June so wasn't really ready to pump out a themed quilt by th deadline but I still have a few chances before the cut off
ReplyDeleteWow, such wonderful quilts! Sofia is a very talented quilter! Her mom must be proud. Those rosettes are adorable and such a great idea for a quilt competition. I am a little freaked out, though, that at 38 I am already in the old lady quilter group:)
ReplyDelete