When I moved to Australia nine years ago, I had no idea that I'd still be here in 2012. I thought I'd pop in, finish a film and then dash back home to San Francisco. I came to Australia as a working tourist of sorts. I was on a sponsored-work visa, working full-time in film in Sydney; but I wanted to squeeze as much out of Australia as I could. I wanted to go places and see amazing things. Nine years later and I still haven't run out of places to visit.
Tomorrow, we grab our bags and head to the nation's capital of Canberra. I have to admit that Canberra wasn't high on my radar of places to visit in Australia. It's not featured in the guide books. Australians joke that it's only home to pot, porn, pyrotechnics and politicians.
I'll admit that I wasn't sure what there even was to do in Canberra besides handmade shopping and passing through on our way to other adventures.
I wasn't alone, so the Canberra Tourism Board put out a call:
Playful, inquisitive, active, friendly, chatty, adventurous humans wanted! Hey, that's me!
Along with 31406 other people, I dropped my name in the hat in the hopes of winning a free trip to Canberra to see what it is all about. They are hosting 500 humans over two weekends to tell you about the fun that can be had in our nation's capital.
I know there has been some doubt, but it's official now. I am indeed human.
I'm happy to be an ambassador for Canberra, along with 499 other people including Craig. I'll admit that I don't yet know much about the city, but I'm a quick study and our adventure begins tomorrow.
With nearly 85% of my readership being overseas, I thought you'd like to hear what brings an American to Australia and why she hasn't left. Even better, I want to show you! For now, I'm going to show you a few of the places that I've been in the last nine years, and load you up with Australian tidbits. Then this weekend, I'll tell you specifically about Canberra and what it has in store. That way you'll know what to put on your itinerary. Pack your bags, you'll soon be Australia-bound!
![]() |
| Billabong in the Top End near Kakadu National Park, Northern Territories, Australia |
When I first moved to Australia, I spent lots of time teaching my family and friends back home about this wonderful place that I often describe as a Willy Wonka playland. Everything here looks slightly different - the trees, the birds, the furry mammals. For international travelers, visiting Australia is like seeing the world again with child's eyes. Of course, there are a few dangers along the way like spiders, snakes and jellyfish; but they almost rarely cause problems. Push those fears aside. Trust me, it is a trip that you'll never forget.
But what is Australia like? As it turns out, my American friends usually ask variations of the same question. Can Australia really be summed up by its accents and its toilets? Let's start with those as a lead-in...
- Does everyone sound like Steve Irwin?
No, they don't. Australia is a very big country. It's as large as the continental United States. Just like home, accents are regional. I've been fortunate to travel to forty-three US states and live in five of them. In each of those five states; Illinois, North Carolina, New Jersey, Texas and California; local people sounded very different and laid on accents with varying degrees of thickness. Australia is much the same. Rural accents tend to be the strongest. Locals can tell the difference between a Queenslander and a Melbournian after a few sentences, but it's a learned skill. Major cities are international melting pots, so you'll hear a mix of European and Asian accents too. Even a few American ones! There is a tiny language barrier in Australia's choice of words, but nothing you can't overcome! Once you figure out what thongs, fancy dress, arvo and bogan mean; you'll be right.
- Tell me about the toilets. Do the toilets spin the opposite direction when they flush?
It fascinates me that this is one of the most common questions that I get from Americans when I tell them that I live in Australia. People love hearing about toilets. My Japanese toilet post is among the most frequently visited on my blog. There aren't many comments, but I see the stats. I know you're reading it again and again!
Humans are fascinated with toilets, and I'm often asked about the spin. There's always a look of confusion when I tell them toilets here don't spin. They don't spin! We still use outhouses, of course. It's just a long long drop to the bottom.
Just kidding! Australian toilets are designed for water efficiency. They don't spin; they whoosh the water down the bowl like a river. Disappointing, I know. Whoosh. No, I won't make you a video. Just trust me they whoosh. Australian toilets are a source of confusion for Americans visitors. In place of a handle, they've got two buttons which may or may not be marked. Two buttons for different jobs. I'm sure you can work that out. But that's enough about the toilets...
- I've been to Outback Steakhouse, that's totally like Australia right?
No. I'm afraid not. Unless of course you are eating at the Outback Steakhouse in Sydney.
- Australia is a big dry desert right? I've heard it's barren.
Well yes and no. A large part of our land is the Outback (no relation to the aforementioned restaurant), but we also have rainforests and alps. I met my husband snowboarding in Australia. Yes, snowboarding. Australia is not just hot, dry and dusty. It can also be cold, wet, snowy or tropical.
![]() |
| White Sand at Hyam's Beach near Jervis Bay, New South Wales |
![]() |
| Billabong near Kakadu National Forest, Top End of Australia, Northern Territories |
![]() |
| Flowers in Melbourne, Victoria |
![]() |
| Katherine Gorge, Northern Territories |
![]() |
| Surface of the Olgas, Central Australia by Uluru |
![]() |
| Kakadu National Forest, Northern Territories |
![]() |
| The Pinnacles, North of Perth, Western Australia |
- Can you tell me about the animals? Are they really great?
Why don't I show you a few?
![]() |
| Kookaburra at Stradbroke Island, Queensland Australia has an amazingly diverse and friendly bird population. |
![]() |
| Tamed Camel at Port Macquarie, NSW. Australia has roughly 1 million feral camels! |
![]() |
| Feeding a new friend at Featherdale Wildlife Park. One of Australia's many hands-on animal encounters. |
Of course we have dingoes, wombats, bilbies, potoroos, koalas and tasmanian devils too! You'll have so many opportunities to see these in the wild and at nature parks.
- Should I visit Australia?
Yes! Australia offers many once-in-a-lifetime type of experiences. By all means come over and visit! Let me know you are coming. We'll have coffee. The coffee here is really good. Maybe coffee isn't your thing? How about an encounter like this one:
I did say that I was a lucky girl! I went to a wildlife park where you get to pet the animals. Someone accidentally spooked a mum near me and her little joey fell out of her pouch. I learned later, this particular joey hadn't had many out-of-pouch experiences before. I hadn't planned on interfering, but the joey had other ideas.
Oh man! So much to explore in this great country?!
- So what's Canberra like?
I wouldn't be much of an ambassador, if I simply told you about other parts of Australia. I don't know much about Canberra yet. I know it's a planned city that was designed by American architect, Walter Burley Griffin. Irony: A French man planned America's captial. An American man planned Australia's. My knowledge of Canberra ends there.
But that's all about to change! I'm going to learn and share with you. Then you can bring things full circle by visiting and sharing with me. You can follow along with all the humans at the Human Brochure. Pop on over to the website to see all the great things that we'll get to do this weekend including Australian War Memorial, the National Zoo, mountain biking at Stromlo Forest and bushwalking at Tidbinbilla. We've got a very full itinerary! Along with our adventure stream, there's a track for foodies, arts&culture and family fun. So much fun jam-packed in a weekend!
I am a lucky girl living in a wonderful and amazing country. Canberra, here we come!
.png)












Haha, yes, Outback Steakhouse is NOT Australian! We were in Hawaii for our 2nd wedding anniversary (hubby had a conference - I tagged along... win!) and we decided to go to Outback Steakhouse because we could. Mmm, American food with hilarious Australian names!
ReplyDeleteYour video is amazing. I'm ashamed to say my Australian knowledge is limited to what I've seen on dance academy. I'll be reading along with interest!
ReplyDeleteAmy
ReplyDeleteif you get a chance visit the Kingston Bus Depot Markets on Sunday. There's food, art, craft and the glassworks next door. Take a drive through the campus of ANU and go up Black Mountain to the lookout from Telstra tower. Parliament House is worth a visit if you have time too. Have fun and i hope the weather behaves. regards "Canberra born and raised but lucky to escape"
i'm just so thankful to have been born here. what a great country! and i've still got sooo much to see. next stop for me is W.A.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous photos! My husband & I went to Australia with some friends in 2000, before the Olympics. We didn't travel around too much, but saw lots of Sydney with a friend who grew up there and also visited Melbourne. Loved it all, especially the birds eveywhere, the animal park Simbio where we fed & petted Kangaroos, wallabies & an assortment of other creatures, the Hunter valley with the wineries and maybe most of all, the meat pies - especially the one with the smashed peas on top! Have fun in Canberra -I'm not even sure where it is, so I'm going to Google it now!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to recommend the same market, you can find it here:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.obdm.com.au
I visited Canberra four years ago and this market is the thing I remember the most. It was AMAZING!
I am Canberra born and bred. There is heaps to do here, hope you have a great weekend
ReplyDeleteOh I love Canberra! There is so much to do there. Have a great time!
ReplyDeleteWonderful post Amy ~ I've always wanted to come to Australia ~ it may happen yet!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the stunning visual tour and descriptions. I've been reading your blog for a while though I didn't realize you're American. You don't write with an accent ;) Congratulations - can't wait to read more about your Canberra adventure.
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool--an American transplant in Australia! Is Craig Australian? I have another American friend who moved there a couple of years ago with her Australian husband.
ReplyDeleteCraig is a New Zealander, a kiwi! Though we both now have Australian citizenship. I met him here in Australia when I moved here for work. It was a chance encounter at a snow lodge!
DeleteSo sweet! :)
DeleteThanks, Amy. So nice to see my beautiful country through other eyes. Sometimes having grown up here we forget to look!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy Canberra!
Great post, Amy! That video of the joey looking for your pouch is hysterical. Hope you're having a great weekend in Canberra!
ReplyDeleteThat video is so cute...poor scared little tyke! Look forward to more pictures! Funny where life leads you, isn't it?!
ReplyDeleteIf I ever get back to Australia (I visited Sydney in 2006) I'd like to see Jackson Pollock's painting Blue Poles. I believe it's on display in Canberra. Life dream #27!
ReplyDeleteThanks Amy. You are a great ambassador for Australia. You certainly have me sold. It's going higher up on my bucket list. Your pics and video are beautiful
ReplyDeleteReally, no video of toilets flushing? Really? Inquiring minds want video. (Couldn't resist!) and I know someone living in Canberra. Except she's visiting here right now....
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I visited Australia for 3 months fresh out of high school (ack! like 22 years ago) all my friends wanted to know if the toilets swirled the other way too! I first fell in love with coffee some place down by the Quay..ah so many great memories! Thank you for sharing :)
ReplyDelete