Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Finished is Better than Perfect.

Quilted! by badskirt - amy
Quilted!, a photo by badskirt - amy on Flickr.
I've had this quilt top in the cupboard for a while. I've been waiting for my quilting skills to get better. I've been waiting to borrow a machine with a larger throat. I've been waiting until I found a job so I could afford to send it away to be quilted. I kept waiting. Last week, I decided that I was tired of waiting.

It's a big quilt top and we really didn't have the floor space to baste it. Basting any quilts is our house is a nightmare anyway because we are this bizarre velcro carpet. everything sticks to it, but not in a good way.

I told Craig that I needed to go to Bunnings and buy three boards. He looked at my like I was nutter. I love going to the hardware store. It's right up there with IKEA in my book. Hardware stores are stores full of possibilities. In high school, I worked at the local hardware shops... plural.

"Craig, I need three boards."
"No, you don't. Why do you always want to buy weird stuff like wood and flooring. We don't own this place. We can't reno it. You don't need wood."
"I need the boards, Craig. They are for quilting."
< awkward stare >
"No, really. They are for quilting."
< continued awkward stare >
"If you'd rather not buy me three wood planks, we could instead go buy a three to six thousand dollar quilting frame and a new, even more expensive, machine to go with it. Twenty grand ought to do it... "

Quick as a flash, we were at Bunnings.

In case you ever need to know, 2.7m boards will fit inside a Mazda 2. I'm always surprised by how spacious and practical that car is.

Simply Finished!

Three boards later and the quilt was basted.

I decided to finish my Good Folks triangles with the simplest of quilting. I used basic straight lines a 1/4" off the long seams. I'd had visions of big loopy quilting on this one, but the simple minimal quilting is fine. No one is going to come in the door and say out loud, "it's a shame you didn't do fancy quilting." If they did, I'd just show them the door.

The stitching isn't perfect, but it's finished. That's what was important.

I used Aurifil 28 on top with a lighter weight Aurifil in the bobbin. The golden color, 2135 wouldn't seem the obvious choice but it was perfect. I doubt anyone else is struggling choosing thread for a Good Folks quilt, but if you are that's my pick. It subtly blends in both the light and dark prints.

Finished!

And so something big is finished! Well... it needs binding, but that can wait right?

23 comments:

  1. I've been watching for this! I like the simple straight line quilting--personally I prefer it to all the fancy stuff. You will enjoy this quilt so much. And good for you for improvising a solid floor to baste it on. --Becky C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting is perfect. I'd be binding it right NOW so it would be finish and shown off everywhere! Love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely Amy & the golden colour is the perfect choice for these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think it's perfect, and having it finished must be a great feeling! I have a Good Folks quilt that I quilted with gold thread--I agree it's an excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, what about the 3 boards???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are for basting. You wrap the quilt top and backing around them. The third one lets you add tension to wrap them tightly. You can also use it at the bottom to wrap the quilt and hold tension as you pin them together. This lets you work in a much much tinier space!

      Delete
  6. Hilarious...although you mean basting when you talked about binding at the beginning which got me all confused!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness! Thank you for that. Clearly my mind was fixed on getting to the next step! I've fixed it. Thank heaps for letting me now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy the hardware store myself. And I once fit a sideboard, a large Lack bookcase, a long horizontal bookcase, a tv stand and two of the big blue bags stuffed full into a chevy cavalier. Of course, they tied my trunk closed and I was the only one in the car but still…. It's like a clown car, but with furniture. :-)

    The quilt definitely looks worthy of three boards for basting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I share your philosophy. Finished straight lines are infinitely better than unfinished tops! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful! I love the prints and the gold thread is a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the quilt and the conversation is hilarious! There's another blog I read ~ she has similar conversations with her husband. Always makes me smile!
    Oh, and I love hardware stores ~ tools, nuts and bolts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quilt! I can get a lot in my Honda Jazz (Fit it is in the US) too! Like a full size door! Oddly enough, going to Home Depot isn't as fun as going to Bunnings (not sure why) but going to IKEA is grand!
    Hahahaha, I was looking for a colour to quilt up a brown, pink, gold and orange quilt and chose exactly the same colour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks amazing! Binding can definitely wait, I used my denim quilt for I don't know how long with the basting pins in it :)
    I've been using the board method for basting too, but the video I saw only used two, do you have a link for the three board method?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see a tutorial for three boards, but common sense told me that I needed more than two. First, you can use the third board as a "reroll" board for the quilt top and backing. This lets you roll the quilts tighter and more accurately by using the tension caused by the first roll. This is the same technique I use when I need to rebolt loose fabric rolls.

      Then when that's done, the third board can either be used for the batting or as an end board for the basted quilt which again adds more tension for more accurate basting. The video I saw and showed Craig was also two boards, but we both agreed three was a much more sensible choice!

      Delete
  14. Oh, congratulations! Yes, finished is better. Finished is the best! It's beautiful, of course. And, actually, I used yellow (a variegated) to quilt my Good Folks quilt as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks lovely and anyway there is no such thing as perfect. Finished is definitely something to aim for. Now, when did you say you were going to have the binding done by?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This quilt is Wonderful! It's Great! It is very nice. I sure enjoyed your story about the hardware store. I'm waiting for a quilt board myself. I had carpet just like that in my other house. Now I have hardwood floors and a kitchen island that is huge, (it's my daughters home). I like the yellow thread and the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can so identify with your reluctance to quilt your top. I've been "quilting" for 2 years and have 7 un-quilted tops to show for it. I quilted one lap quilt, very simply and a bit wonky and one lap quilt that I paid to have done. So the others just sit. I feel like they are so pretty and represent so much "me" that I'm afraid to wreck them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also love this quilt, the fabric and I think the quilting is pretty swish too! Loved the three boards story! I saw a tutorial on using the boards for basting but haven't tried it yet. I do have a Horn cutting table and use that for basting. I also have many tops finished. Simple hand quilting works for me and I am gradually working my way through those tops.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful quilt and beautiful quilting. I love "It's a shame you didn't do fancy quilting." That really made me laugh. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a pretty, pretty quilt! I can't quite figure out how the three board trick works, but I will. (Sometimes I am more of a tortoise than a hare!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh goodness! That blue and gold cathedral (?) patterned fabric ... I bought a bit of that recently at my LQS as it was in the clearance section. I had no idea what it was but loved it. Now I know thanks to this post! May have to explore more of AMH!

    ReplyDelete

You are a rockstar! Thanks so much for your comments!