Lucky I did, as I had the joy of running into Patch Andi. It made for a perfect little visit to the shop. I'm sure I looked the fright with my drowned rat hair, but hopefully everyone understood... from plane to fabric store in a single bound.
In a lucky girl moment, Amitie had a sale on last week which made my quilting prints a right steal. I've been saving up for this trip. My local friends have heard the same monotonous echo each time they ask me for a group international order, "I can't. I'm saving for Amitie." It was worth every bit of saving. It was worth every no. I'm happy with these special fabrics that I've added to my stash. Most are 20cm strips, but some are 50cm. And I even managed to remember to buy backing and binding for my current project.
Some of the prints are new to me and others are rebuys. Most are for a very specific project for a Values QAL coming October 22nd! (Put that in your calendar! Trust me, you'll learn heaps)
I don't keep a large stash these days, but these were perfect for that quilt and a few others still on the go.
I was fortunate to be there when I was, as Jen starting pulling out her quilts. Talk about eye candy heaven. Amazing is the only word that can describe them. Jen has such a way with "dirty bright" fabrics, as she called them. I've already spied a new pattern that I'd like to pick up when it's ready.
If I'm a little quiet this week, I'm in a new fabric coma. Can you blame me?
we went to Melbourne (from Brisbane) last week. Top of my list was Amitie too - we went on our first day there, to make sure we made it!! I was so lucky to meet Jen too, and she brought out her two latest quilts - one with amazing wheels on it, lots of fussy cutting, on texty prints, - that was my favourite - and another with heaps of colour on a bright white background. She's so clever with her fabric choices and hand-piecing, just amazes me.
ReplyDeleteWe lucked in to the fabric sale too! - stocked up on Chicopee, and a few other things. Bought Jen's Carnival letters pattern - have made two cushion fronts so far, both saying 'read'. Also bought her Green Tea and Sweet Beans.
I was so happy to finally make it to Amitie, it's such a gorgeous shop, and I was just so happy to meet Jen as well. There are no shops that come close in Brisbane. We also went to Ballarat Patchwork (so beautiful too - amazes me that the sew-ers of Ballarat and surrounds have this awesome fabric shop, when in Brisbane we just don't). And to Patchwork on Central Park. I was in fabric heaven for the week. Didn't buy huge amounts, just bits and pieces, and a few books and patterns. It was just so great to see so many beautiful fabrics in person - I buy pretty much everything online, so the feeling of walking into a gorgeous fabric shop is just so good. And kind of unbelievable.
Thanks for your fabric pics and Amitie experience. Cat.
Amy - did Amitie cut or rip your pieces - I also love this shop and often recommend it to new quilters, but there are lovers and 'no so much' because of their policy of ripping the fabric instead of cutting it. I have had fabric which I have had to trim a good section off because of the effect the tearing has on the edge. Last time I went I got lots of velveteens which had to be cut yay!
ReplyDeleteAmitie always rips. And yes, you lose a little bit of material that way. Someone asked about it when I was in there and they noted they added a tiny bit extra for that reason. I can see why that would upset some people. I don't mind the ripping. I've been to stores that rotary cut (or fast snipper cut) who cut so crooked that you also lose material. Since I have to true up most "cut" fabric anyway, I don't really see ripping as an issue.
Delete