As the industry liaison for the Greater Western Sydney Modern Quilt Guild, one of my duties is to seek out fun, clever and interesting things for our members to try via giveaways. Last month, our theme was my favourite thread, so I reached out to Aurifil to see if they would be interested in offering a prize.
They weren't just on-board, they went overboard.
In addition to sending along a mountain of thread for the guild, they sent a bit extra for me to try out and some for me to giveaway. It's taken me a bit to write it up - not because I'm lazy, but because I really want to try things out and give them a fair shake before I review them here.
I've given Aurifil a good shake, and I give it a big thumbs up for patchwork and quilting.
Before I get to into the review, I thought a bit of my thread history may come in handy. Long before I quilted; I sewed toys, homewares and children's clothing. I sewed things that take a lot of abuse and need to be quite durable. When I started sewing, I used Gutermann poly thread. It's rigid and didn't break for sewing toys. For the types of things that I used to sew, it was the right choice at the time.
When I bought my Bernina, they asked what types of things I sewed and they recommended the same. I hadn't found a reason to switch. When I started quilting, I just stuck with it despite others urging me to move onto a different kind of thread. It didn't cause me any problems that I noticed, so I stuck with it. So I've primarily sewn with Gutermann poly, but have tried other brands including cotton threads to some extent. Usually I'm motivated by finding the right colour or by whatever happens to be in stock at the time.
I was skeptical that I'd want or need Aurifil thread. After a month of trying out different weights, I've no problem admitting that I was wrong. I love doing my piecing and quilting with Aurifil and will definitely buy more. (Australian buyers can get it locally online from Kate at KateQuilts. When I'm ready to buy more, that's where I'll go.)
If you read blogs, you've seen Aurifil spruiked for the better part of the year. You've read about the colour choices, heard that it makes for lint-free sewing and seen microscopic comparisons of thread brands. Most of the other blog posts describe that Aurifil comes in several weights including cotton and a wool/poly blend.
This review comes as a test of Aurifil for my quilting uses. I tried piecing, home machine quilting, applique, attaching binding by hand and machine, crochet and even braved the new-to-me skill of free motion quilting. I tried several different weights of Aurifil in the process.
I'm not sure how much I'll add to the conversation, but here's my take on Aurifil:
| new to me skill! I'm learning to FMQ. Not great, but we all start somewhere. |
How Does It Break?
My friend, Carmel, gave me a funny look. Actually, I have no idea if she did or not. We were using Facebook chat. For all I know, she was simply grinning at her kids.
Let me start over. I think my friend, Carmel, gave me a funny look when I told her my favourite feature of Aurifil thread was that it broke easily and cleanly with a seam ripper. I imagine her saying, "Why would that be a good feature? I don't want my thread to break." She may well have said something exactly like that, in fact.
But the thing is... it's a great feature. I am not a perfect patchworker or quilter. My points don't always line up. I inadvertently catch the back of another block in the middle of the two that I'm trying to sew. I misjudge the middle of my curve and find the entire block is out by 1/4". I putz things up. I putz things up often. I am good friends with my seam ripper. I can take out the tiniest of stitches bound to foundation paper because I added a piece of fabric that was too small. It happens to all of us. We don't always get things right the first time.
Inevitably, seam ripping and resewing can cause problems for your fabrics. The biggest problem I've had when doing this is fabric stretch. No matter how slowly or carefully, I find that pulling stitches out can pull the fabric. This is much more noticeable when I'm trying to break polyester or cheaply spun uneven threads. I noticed straight away that the Aurifil cotton threads broke cleanly and evenly when I took a seam ripper to it. It didn't cause the stitches to pull or pucker.When I put the pieces back together correctly, they lined up without awkward stretch or pull.
That said it's been incredibly strong for hand sewing. I've tested it out for both hand applique and binding, but it held up just fine to my brute force pulling method that makes other people shudder.
The verdict: Aurifil is strong when it needs to be, but also responsive when you command it to break. Big thumbs up!
Can I Use it for Foundation Piecing?
I tried using Aurifil 40wt and 50wt for paper foundation piecing an with my Thangles. I wanted to see how the thread held up when pulling paper away from it. It's a bit of an extension on the seam ripper and break test.
The verdict: Yes, I found that paper tore away quite easily from the threads without ripping or stretching them. It worked really well, better than other threads that I've used in the past.
What Does It Cost?
My favourite weight of Aurifil is the fine 50wt. For piecing, it makes for nice flat seams. It glides well through my Bernina easily and the quilting detail is very subtle. Generally I prefer for the patchwork to be the star, and quilting to be secondary. The 40wt is billed as the all-purpose thread, but I'm partial to the finer one.
Before I played with Aurifil, I had managed to dismiss it in my head as exceptionally expensive and a luxury that could be better spent. Like many Australian, I've been collecting Spotlight vouchers and using them as a way to get my thread cheaper. It hadn't dawned on me that Aurifil was actually cost effective. When a friend ask me how much came on a spool, I did a bit of math.
Gutermann and Aurifil large spools costs approximately the same amount in Australia, $13.95 Australian dollars. (Note: that is substantially more than the $8.95USD that a 1000m spool of Gutermann sells for in the US. If you live over there, this price comparison might be irrelevant.)
For about $13.95 here, you can get 1000m of Gutermann poly or 800m Gutermann cotton. You can also get 1000m of Aurifil 40wt from Kate. Same price. Same amount of thread.
The Aurifil 50wt has 1300m of thread on a large spool. Wait... did you say 1300m?! Yes. I did. And they still cost $13.95.
That's 30% more Aurifil fine thread for the same price as standard brands. That's 30% more money in your pocket. Save your Spotlight vouchers and use them on something fun instead like new Clover gadgets.
Obviously more miles to spool means that you buy thread less often. An added bonus aside from cost to the 50wt is that more fits on a bobbin and you have to change those less often. Win!
The verdict: Aurifil 40wt is as cost-effective as buying the standard brand in Australia. Buying Aurifil 50wt will keep more money in your pocket. It's not a luxury, it's value!
How Do I Use It?
Thread really shouldn't need a video for use, but I went ahead and watched Pat Sloan's video about threading Aurifil on a Bernina because frankly, I had a problem. It's a little embarrassing to admit that I was confused about threading my machine. I find the Aurifil spools rattle a bit when I sew. They have a larger center opening than most spools on the market. The rattle is particularly bad, if I put them on the vertical spool holder on my machine. I haven't found a solution for that. I think I might be missing something.
I now keep the large spools on the horizontal holder simply because they don't rattle much that way. I'm wondering if I need some sort of plastic spool adapter to make them fit better. It is such as simple concept, that it probably already exists. I'd welcome advice on this. Does anyone else have this problem? It might just be that I sew very, very fast.
The verdict: Aurifil spools rattle a little or I'm an idiot and doing something wrong.
Does it make less lint?
There are all sorts of websites about thread lint. Several friends asked me this question. This isn't an issue for me because I clean my machine regularly. I haven't noticed a difference myself. If you aren't in the habit of cleaning your machine though, I could see that it would make a difference. I don't know if it's better or worse. I'll just remind you that your machine might need a little clean inside today!
What Colors Does it Come In?
Aurifil comes in a substantial number of colors. Kate sells color cards, if you'd like to get one. You'd probably get the most use out of the cotton color card. There is a separate color card for the LANA wool/poly blend.
Aurifil has plenty of choice in color. Importantly for me, there are lots of neutrals and greys available. If you look through the photos on this post, you'll see a great range from stark white to butter cream. There are both warm and cool greys. If you like variegates, there have a whole page of the color card dedicated to both stark and subtle gradients.
If I were ordering a neutral starter set for myself, I'd consider 2021 for a soft-not-stark white, 2311 for a slight pale cream, 2692 for black, 2600 for a faint cool grey and 2615 for a faint warm grey. In terms of sheer color, I tend towards the same tones as I always do. I've given them names to go with the number code. I love 5015 a bright sour mustard, 5002 intense red melon, 5018 happy green and 1125 teal cadet blue.
Craig has declared 4648 to his favourite. It's a variegate of purple, orange, yellow and white. He's peeved that I'm giving away the packs that contain that color. Sorry Craig. We can buy more.
In my opinion, the color card looks slightly darker than the thread does on spools. It's an optical illusion, but worth considering if you are a card shopper.
The verdict: With 200+ colors of cotton thread in four sizes, Aurifil will probably have something to match your project.
Can I Use it for Something Else?
Sure, why not?! Many people use the thicker weight Aurifil for hand quilting as you would normally use perle. They also use it for embroidery in place of six strand floss or fleur thread. In addition to 12wt cotton, you can get a 12wt wool/poly blend. Here, I've crocheted both the cotton and wool/poly in tandem to make a tiny granny square ala Sophie Digard. With some patience and more intricate crochet design, you could make some amazing teeny gems using Aurifil. Instead of looking at my poor example made with limited colors, why not check out some at Always Quilting.
The verdict: Aurifil has many purposes beyond patchwork and quilting. You're only limited by your imagination.
So How do I Rate it?
For my piecing and quilting needs, Aurifil has been great. I was skeptical, but pleasantly surprised. As always, I encourage you to try things for yourself and see how it works for you!
How Do I Win?
How many of you just skipped down here to win some thread? That's okay! I'm sure you've read the reviews of Aurifil and want to try it yourself. I have some of the Aurifil five packs for my readers to win. (The other five packs went to GWSMQG.) Each pack has a random assortment of colors including four weights of cotton with one variegate and one pack of LANA wool.
To win, leave a comment on this post about thread. Let me know what works for you or what has let you down. Let me know about your extra special thread or about something you'd like to try. Or let me know how to reduce the rattle! Anything about thread will do.
Please make sure your email address is properly registered when you comment. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get a hold of you if you are a no-reply commenter. I'll leave this open two weeks until October 22nd, noon Sydney time when I will randomly draw. thanks in advance for all your thread tips! (PS: you'll want to come back Oct 22nd for the kickoff on a great education QAL anyway!)
My thread experiences are varied, By far my favorite quilting thread has been King Tut, but I tend to buy what I can find. I have only had problems with one brand but I had to rip out a whole quilt because even with checking the back, I couldn't tell that the tension was far enough off to make the stitches looser than I like. The test square was great, the quilt not so much.
ReplyDeleteI tend to use Gutterman or Mettler, but then again I tend to sew garments more often than I quilt. I don't use cheap thread - it's just not worth it. I'm keen to give Aurifil a try though - especially if I win some! I'll check out Kate's shop too - thanks for the link.
ReplyDeleteLara from larathornberry@optusnet.com.au
Hi Amy - I read all of your post, truly. I currently use Gutermann threads, which I generally find good (but then, I don't have much to compare to). I use the poly thread for piecing and a specific cotton quilting thread for quilting. I have tried a Mettler quilting thread for quilting, but I found it was too thick and (this sounds weird) fluffy. I have been curious to try Aurifil after seeing all the rave reviews, but, unfortunately, there are only two bricks and mortar stockists in New Zealand, neither of which is anywhere near me. So, that is a very long-winded way to say thanks for the review, and yes please, I would love to win some. Also, if you could convince Aurifil to find a stockist in Wellington, that would be great, thanks ;-)
ReplyDeleteGreat review! I use Aurifil for pretty much everything. My favorite thing about it is that it doesn't tangle when I'm hand stitching. I've only tried the cotton though - I'm curious about the lana wool.
ReplyDeleteLike most people I started off quilting with gutterman cotton and I still use it a bit. I like the cones of signature thread as well, I'm a sucker for variegated thread have some king tut to try. I've given wonderfill a go and that's pretty good too.
ReplyDeleteSo far I've only used Gutermann and Superior thread but I've heard so much about Aurfil I'd love to try it.
ReplyDeleteI usually use Gutermann threads for all my sewing too, mostly because I know my favourite colours and they are quick to pick up with Spotlight vouchers too. I had a negative experience with Signature brand, as the 40wt was too thick and looked terrible on hems. Your review is a great read and I appreciate the comparison between weights and lengths
ReplyDeleteI started with Mettler and really liked it but was recently convinced to try Aurifil by a friend who quilts beautifully. The smoothness of her seams won me over. I bought my first 4 spools of 50 wt about 6 months ago and love it. BTW - my spools rattle just a bit too.
ReplyDeleteI'd love some! I started out using cheap thread not knowing that it makes a difference. I've read lots of great reviews of Aurifil and have been wanting to try. Thanks for the chance!
ReplyDelete(don't enter me in the draw... I already won some in the guild draw ^_^)
ReplyDeleteI can totally back up your observations on clean and easy seam ripping. Just don't do what I did and change both your thread to the wonderfully super-consistent Aurifil and your seam ripper to the Rolls-Royce of seam rippers (Clover brand) at the SAME TIME.
I barely moved my hand and not only went four inches down the seam but through one side of the fabric as well :P Lesson learned, pressure adjustments made, and now seam ripping is usually a matter of seconds :)
Also - the large spools of cotton Gutermann are only 800m, not 1000... so the Aurifil is really *very* good value in comparison here in Australia :)
Thanks Jenna! I didn't realize the cotton spools of Gutermann were only 800m. I've updated the post. Even better value!
DeleteWhat a great review. I am currently using my first ever spool of Aurifil 50wt and love it so fast. I normally use Gutterman cotton and will continue to do so, but I definitely think the Aurifil makes for a flatter seam and less lint. Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteI am so so happy with Aurfil thread, the colors are brilliant and 'yes' less lint. What a wonderful, wonderful giveaway.
ReplyDeletegasuski@mac.com
I have been trying to win some Aurifil so I can try it. I usually use Gutermann because that is what is available.
ReplyDeletethanks for the review. I use Guterman but would love to try Aurifil, especially the lana
ReplyDeleteI have been using Aurifil for about one year...I am sold on its quality. I like the 50 wt for piecing and the 40 wt for quilting. Thank you for this opportunity to win. Happy Fall!
ReplyDeleteReally enjoyed reading your review of Aurifil. I have been toying with the idea of trying some out, but wasn't convinced. Tomorrow I am heading to pick up a spool of 40wt and one of 50wt. Thanks for the great giveaway!
ReplyDeletelsumida at yahoo dot com
Hi! I just finished my first quilt and as I have carpal tunnel quite severely at the moment, thought I'd be very clever and but the binding on by machine. I unpicked about 4 times then decided to hand sew. I have had the most trouble unpicking, I never realised my machine sewed quite so well! I use Gutermann thread for about 20 years and have always been happy with it for a range of tasks, mostly dress making until now. I think I may try a spool of the Aurifil just to compare. Thank you very much for the opportunity to win a spool. Great blog btw.
ReplyDeleteI am with you, I really like the 50 weight. I only use it or King Tut for quilting. I only use the Aurifil for piecing. I had been looking for something for my serger that was all cotton and it finally clicked that the 50 weight Aurifil was just the ticket. I do think it is less linty and that is also great for the serger. My only problem with the 50 weight was when I sewed a garment from seersucker that had lots of give. The seams with the serger have held just fine, but where I used it to sew down a casing it popped. Would love to try some other colors and some variegated!
ReplyDeleteI picked up some Aurifil on sale at my LQS, and I agree with you, it's easy to pick out when I've made a mistake, and it doesn't leave the fabric stretched or holey. I also like how the 50w allows fabric seams to press nice and flat; funny how a tiny difference in thread can be so noticeable!
ReplyDeleteI have been amazed to learn about thread. I have only recently been trying Aurafil and it is lovely. I also love the Superior Threads King Tut for quilting. Valdani has the most beautiful hand-dyed threads as well and they work nicely for fmq. I also find Sulky threads come in beautiful colours, often exactly what I need for quilting. I never expected to have a thread stash or to have so many kinds and colours. I have only had a chance to try the thicker Aurafil thread once and would love to have a pack to try again. Thank you for the give away.
ReplyDeleteWhen I started quilting there were not a lot of thread choices and Gutermann was the one to use - but I always found it "linty", but now with so many choices out there it is so hard to choose the best thread for the job. I loved your blog post - it gave so much information. I have been using 50 wt Aurifil for over a year and just love it ... no lint! my sewing machine is happy, happy, happy!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the opportunity to win Aurifil thread!
I have mainly used Gutterman because it is the only "quality" thread available semi-locally (I live in the boonies), but I have one beloved spool of Aurifil. I have used it for EPP and it is fabulous!!! No twisting, no tangling, no knots - what a winner!!! I am so much faster, because I don't have to stop to untangle every three minutes.
ReplyDeleteSorry I can't help you with your rattle, I have enough rattles of my own but that's because I'm old! I've always used Gutterman mainly because I stock up when I'm in Spotlight. I might have to give Aurifil a try even better if I win some from you!
ReplyDeleteGreat review on Aurifil threads. As a very recent convert to Aurifil 50wt I agreed with pretty much everything that you said & as a Spotlight shopper & former devotee of Guterman cotton thread 800m spools, I am in absolute agreement about saving Spotlight vouchers for other uses in future. I have also been so impressed with how much flatter my patchwork blocks are with Aurifil 50wt. Thanks for the info about KateQuilts for Australian readers, it's terrific to have a local online supplier.
ReplyDeleteAmy you are so thorough! That's what I love about your reviews: honest and thorough. Thread... until recently I was sewing on my Mum's 30+ year old Husqvarna and it would only take cotton thread for some reason. No poly. So I've only just entered the world of thread and it's all a bit much to take in! I'd love to give this a go.
ReplyDeleteI generally use Gutterman in my machine b.c I don't have a local place to get Aurifil. I have been dying to try it however. As far as the rattle, depending on how your machine is set up can you set up an auxiliary vertical wooden dowel with larger diameter than the one that the machine comes with? I have seen this done for machines with no secondary holder for using a double needle.
ReplyDeletei mostly use vivaldi thread because it's almost always on sale and it comes in so many colors. my other go-to thread is king tut, but that's soooo expensive that i really think twice before i buy it. i would love to try aurifil and hopefully replace two threads with one dependable one.
ReplyDeletebarbara
bar2a1234@gmail.com
Hi Amy, I always find your posts, great, they have information, humour and are so thorough you think of everything. I have decided to always use Gutterman about 3 months ago, maily because of availability and and colour choice. I had never taken much notice before that just got whatever was the right colour but it does make such a drifference for your sanity (cheaper threads just break!) and durability of the thing your doing. For Quilting I use the specific thread by Gutterman. However I will give the aurifil a try now. Thanks for your blog I enjoy it so much Anne
ReplyDeleteAwesome review, it was very thorough. I started out, like most people I assume, using the cheap stuff ie Coats and Clark. I now use Guterman cotton but find it very lint. Just today I bought my first spools of Aurifil. I had heard so many great things about it, I thought it might be good to try. For me, Guterman is significantly cheaper because it can be found at JoAnns. That means you can use a 40% off coupon, where as the Aurifil is only found at my LQS which does not offer 40%. I have yet to try the spools. I didn't even think to check the weight when I bought it. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Aurifil thread! I use the 50 wt for piecing and 40 wt for quilting! It is by far the best thread I have ever used. It was recommended to me by my Bernina dealer. I sometimes use Mettler for general sewing but do prefer the Auriful. It is a truly wonderful product and always gives me great results. Great review!
ReplyDeleteI have only ever used Gutterman and very occasionally Mettler. I would love the chance to try something new, especially considering your great review!
ReplyDeleteUp until now I have always used Gutterman. I learnt the evil that is cheap thread very early on in my sewing life lol :) most of the bloggers I follow though recommend aurifil so I am planning on trying it very soon! Maybe sooner if I win ;)
ReplyDeleteI am a recent convert to Aurifil, I love the 50wt for piecing and quilting. I can't help with the rattle, I haven't noticed that on my Bernina at all, I will take more notice and see if it is doing it. How did I not realise Kate was selling it, I have ordered a colour card - thanks for the review.
ReplyDeleteTo be truthful I've never really thought about the thread I use, but now I want to try the Aurifil! If I don't win I think I'll be buying some anyway!
ReplyDeleteI've mainly been using Guterman but have wanted to try Aurifil for a while now based on all the rave reviews I've read about it.
ReplyDeleteOne of my not so great thread experiences was with some gorgeous silk thread. I bought some for my hexie quilt hand piecing as recommended by someone. It slipped through beautifully but after a while I found that the thread was rubbing away little by little until it broke! Eeek. My stitches were so small that going back to remove and redo them was a complete nightmare. Back to the stronger stuff for me!!
I have only used Gutermann for quilting. Would be nice to try something different, especially for hand quilting. I love those colour charts, could gaze at them all day. I have an old Bernina which is great, but had to throw out a lot of my Grandmothers thread collection recently (except the ones on the old wood bobbins) as it was breaking regularly, it must have a shelf life I guess?
ReplyDeleteI have tried lots of thread and usually do stick with the Guterman or other good brand but my FMQ is still a mess, I have heard so much about Aurifil and really should try some, you make it sound irresistable.
ReplyDeletebeccaj74@yahoo.com.au
I'm like you (before) and tend to buy the colour that works best, never mind the brand. lately I've been favoring cotton thread but usually just what my local shop has in stock. I'd love to try some Aurifil seeing as the marketing's been seeping through so much! I like the idea of the different weights available too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review Amy. I am fairly new to quilting and have been using Gutermann poly (I also stock up at Spotlight)but keep hearing great things about Aurifil. Unfortunately I've never seen stocked anywhere in Oz so thanks for the tip on Kate.
ReplyDeleteAt the moment I use Superior thread. Me too I heard a lot about Aurifil, but never tried myself. This would be a great chance to give it a go! Thanks so much for the review!
ReplyDeleteAt the moment I use Rasant or Connecting Threads but I have heard such good things about Aurifil I'd love to try it!
ReplyDeleteI usually use Gutermann but like everyone else I've heard of Aurifil but I 've always thought it would be too expensive! Can you buy the sample packs? as I'd be interested in trying this thread!
ReplyDeleteThankyou for the review, never thought of ranking the unpicking qualities of threads, but it is actually VERY important when I sew. I have been experimenting with different threads, leaving poor old gutermann behind due to fluff issues. Using Invisiafil at the moment and have been very happy, with it, however large hole and base so it rattles, which makes me worry about tension issues, my machine originally came with a cap for the threads (which got lost :( ) and I guess that helps with keeping it more even.
ReplyDeleteI have read so much about Aurifil thread, but have never been able to find it at a store (and haven't been sufficiently organised to order it on-line) Thanks so much for your review, I would love to try some out.
ReplyDeleteswdav at xtra dot co dot nz
I'm also a Guterman girl for my clothing and other sewing and that's what I used for piecing to begin with. Then I tried a few different cotton threads for quilting, one I hated as it kept breaking (it was a shop specific brand here in the UK) and the other is Coats and Clark which is working well for piecing but isn't as thick as I'd like for actually quilting. I have just ordered my first Aurifil thread and a colour card and hope that it's as good as everyone says it is!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the give away!
Thanks for your review. I have been thinking a bit about different threads lately as I've been having problems with breakage. I sew bags which require sewing through a number of thicknesses of fabric and I find that this is causing my threads to break. Based on your review I will definitely give Aurifil threads a go. I think they will also give me good results on my quilts too! :-)
ReplyDeleteI've tried lots of threads over the years except Aurifil. I used to always use Guterman, but have been using Invisifil and Rasant for the last 12 months or so. Now my husband is learning to free motion quilt because I'm disabled and find it hard to quilt using the speed slide on my Bernina. He's having all sorts of trouble and is trying every thread I've got to find something that suits him. Perhaps the Aurifil will fit the bill, don't know, but it would be worth a try. I'll love to give it a try for my piecing as well.
ReplyDeleteHi Amy
ReplyDeleteI always liked Sulky Blendables 12 wt for large stitch quilting but recently I trued a variegated Aurifil 12 wt and it's my new favourite thread. You can see my quilting with it here on my blog:http://sewjournal.com/2012/10/07/the-quilting-is-finished-2/
Cheers
Munaiba
sewjournal at twokhans dot com
That quilting is beautiful!
DeleteLike you, I've always used Gütermann. This is because that is what is available and I know the quality is pretty good. I haven't actually tried Aurifil, but have heard so many good things about it and would love to try some.
ReplyDeletePS. I think you need to get yourself a Clover unpicker (the brown one), they cut through Gütermann thread like butter.
I heard people rave about Aurifil I tried the 50wt and was disappointed by it. It's been fine for machine sewing on my old machine but when I tried using it for EPP it shredded a lot. I changed needle brands and everything. I'm told to try more as I must have bought a faulty spool.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review Amy and also for the info on where to get this thread locally and for this giveaway. Like you I've been using Gutermann threads both poly and cotton for ages. Recently I've been trying the Guterman sulky 12wt for straight line quilting and I much prefer the look that is achieved from the heavier thread. So I'm very keen to try the different weights in the Aurifil threads. Thanks Amy.
ReplyDeleteInteresting - I've switched to Rasant from Guterman, but it's expensive - happy to see an alternative!
ReplyDeleteAwesome review Amy! Same story here with Gutterman thread, have always used Poly for clothes, toys & bags, and cotton for piecing & quilting. Never had any problems with it though did notice a lot of lint around the foot & needle after quilting sessions and have heard that the 50wt is a bit thicker than other brands. It's easy to pop in to Spotlight to grab some on short notice or to colour match. I've also recently tried some Mettler varigated thread (brights on solid black cotton for practicing looks hot!), it might be rayon or some kind of poly that is a 50wt flat thread rather than round so you don't get as much build up at overlaps when FMQ. But... I've been hearing so much about Aurifil and would love to give it a go. If I'm not lucky enough to win your post has convinced me to give it a try, thanks so much for sharing your online source as well.
ReplyDeleteI'm on my first spool of aurifil now and it's great. I haven't noticed a lint difference, for me the brand of fabric I'm using makes more difference to the lint. My machine is quite choosy on thread it likes so before aurifil I was using rasant with good results but the aurifil does makes for a flatter seam. I've been trying to try some of the thicker aurifil but my LQS is always out of stock, thanks for the online link.
ReplyDeleteI love Aurifil and am working through my Guterman thread so that I can switch over completely.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review - I'm new to quilting and am trying to find a good thread to use still. I bought my first spool of gutterman last week and it's much better than what I was using, but a thread that is easy to rip seams with sounds really attractive (because I need to tear out so many of them). If I can find aurafil I think I'll use it for my next project
ReplyDeleteI've just been closing my ears to all the talk of Aurafil, and continuing to use the plain jane Gutterman or Mettler, whatever happens to be available locally. But when Amy does a review on a product, then I know it's a true story! So I'm almost convinced:)
ReplyDeleteI've just recently tried Aurifil and love it! With 1 50wt spool I was able to quilt a quilt(lightly), piece another (lots of seams), and I still have plenty of thread left! I'm sure to be able to get another quilt put together with what I have left. :)
ReplyDeleteMy usual thread leaves a LOT of lint in the bobbin area. The Aurifil I have been fortunate enough to use doesn't seem to do that.
ReplyDeleteI'll be honest, I have never really paid attention to the thread I use. I usually just use a 100% cotton thread. I am starting to explore different threads since I got my embroidery machine.
ReplyDeleteI usually have Gutermann, but also recently bought some Coates. But after looking at the mircoscope pictures, I think I will try to use Aurifil instead!!! Thanks for great info!!!
ReplyDeleteI use Gutermann, mostly, so I would like to try some Aurifil!
ReplyDeleteI switched to Aurifil about a year ago (when the thread was recommended to my mother by her Bernina saleslady). My machine is a Singer 301, and the 40 wt is recommended for older Singers.
ReplyDeleteI used Gutermann before, but I did the math and Aurifil was a little less expensive for the same length of thread. Also, I brush out lint at every bobbin change and I have noticed less lint with it. (Though Gutermann was much, much less linty than the all-cotton Coats & Clark I used to buy before I learned better.)
Great review! Nice and thorough. I love the thicker weights for LA quilting. The only downfall with Aurifil is that none of my LQSs carry it, so I can't just pick colors in person. Silly me, I love to see and feel the thread before choosing a spool. And, the chance to have a coupon or a sale is a big bonus to finding things in a local store.
ReplyDeleteGreat review! Thank you! I am just using Aurifil for the first time myself. I have straight line quilted with it so far and love it. Previously I was a *gasp* Coats and Clark gal but I did recently get into Gutermann (poly and cotton) for most of my daily quilting now.
ReplyDeleteI did also notice a size difference on the hole when loading it on my machine. It doesn't rattle for me too much when it is horizontal, and I was afraid to try it on my vertical holder in case the tension was too much. If you do find a converter please share!
Thanks for the most thorough review of Aurifil I've read! For some reason, no shops around me carry it, so I've never actually slapped eyes on the stuff, but it sounds great. I generally use Guttermann and buy the biggest spools I can find, generally with a coupon at Joann's (in the U.S.) or when it's on sale. I find it's pretty good, especially when compared to the old U.S. standard, Coats and Clarks.
ReplyDeleteHave marked Oct. 22 on my calendar so I can come have a look at the educational QAL. It's always good to learn new skills. Thanks for the chance at the giveaway.
I have been using Gutermann thread primarily- 99% of my sewing is garment related. I always love to try out different threads and I would love the opportunity to try out Aurifil- I have not seen it in any of my local sewing shops.
ReplyDeletevery thorough review, and very interesting. i already use Aurifil thread in 50wt for piecing. but have had huge trouble finding other colours and weights. i would love to try the heavier weights to quilt with or try hand quilting. i usually can only find white or grey in 50 wt to piece with. And i agree its excellent for that. thanks for the chance to try more.
ReplyDeleteHi Amy...I usually use Gutermann thread. I have used some cheaper stuff because of deals I have gotten, but I keep going back to Gutermann. But, I am veru intrigued to try Aurifil. People seem to really like it. Thanks for the chance to win! And thank you for the great review.
ReplyDeleteGreat reveiw, thanks for all the good information. I have never tried Aurifil but would sure be willing to give it a try!!!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea what I was doing when I first started quilting (12 years ago), I simply had an idea for a quilt and wanted to give it as a gift to my then boyfriend, now husband, and so I did. I used my moms finicky, old singer with whatever thread was on it (I'm pretty sure it was an old bobbin of serger thread) and, thinking back, I'm surprised that it came out as well as it did. I just recently got back into quilting in a big way and have been surfing blog land, devouring information and ideas like there is no tomorrow. Thank you for this lovely post and opportunity to win some fantastic thread, I had NO idea the differences in thread, I cant wait to try some aurifil out!
ReplyDeleteI'm ready to try something new as what I'm using now, keep breaking! I don't know if it's an old spool (it shouldn't be as I just bought it!) I do have several spools of a Sulky varigated that I'm saving to use on something special. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet (so to speak) and buy some Aurafil. Thanks for the review. I leaned a lot!
ReplyDeleteI love aurifil! My bernina doesn't like other threads. I have used mostly the 50 weight and just did some not quilt sewing with some 40 wt. I'd love to try some other Aurifil threads.
ReplyDeleteThat was one of the best, most comprehensive thread reviews I've read! If I weren't such a big aurifil fan already I think you'd have me convinced. I use the 50 weight for almost all my sewing, occasionally picking up random thread brands if I need a colour that I'll only use for one project - like hot pink for tea towel hemming this weekend. I need to source some of the bug cones to try out on the longarm!
ReplyDeleteAce review! I may be a bit of a thread nerd, I read through the whole thing : ) I've been curious about Aurifil and will definitely try it out now. I've been using Gutermann Poly for clothes/homewares and Gutermann or Mettler (I really like Mettler, it's a bit thicker and looks great for machine quilting, has a nice natural sheen, too) Cotton for quilting. When I first started quilting, I read something about how you should only use cotton thread for quilts because the polyester thread will start to cut through the cotton fabrics over time since they break down at different rates - don't know how true it is but it seemed to make sense so I only use cotton thread for every bit of my quilts.
ReplyDeleteI have tried the Aurifil embroidery threads and I really liked them. I haven't tried the others. All I know about thread is that it does make a difference to your free motion quilting. Cheap thread seems to cause lots of problems. I use Superior Threads bottomline in my bobbin. I like it because I don't have any thread breakage problems AND because it is a fine thread which means a whole lot fits on the bobbin and I have to change the bobbin less often. I have thought about trying Aurifil in my machine, but just haven't got that far yet!
ReplyDeleteI started off using Gutermann thread and then discovered Aurifil thread, I love it and have tried out all the variants of it, the Lana Wool thread is great for whip-stitching felted wool and I've also used it for quilting on a wool quilt (not finished yet). I do use another type of thread as well but mainly I use Aurifil.
ReplyDeleteHi Amy,
ReplyDeleteAurifil thread must really be THE thread to use, love to try it, just haven't found it locally. Right now I am using 100% cotton thread, a thread I used when I first starting sewing in the 60's.
My worst experience was using clear thread recommended by a quilting teacher for quilting. It literally sliced the insides of my new Brother Embroidery machine and after many repairs, it had to be replaced!
Thanks so much for the giveaway-I know someday I will have to try Aurifil.
Amy, I too use Gutterman and basically for the same reasons that you stated. I would love to try out Aurifil and see about switching as i love to quilt and i have heard that the 50 weight is great for really flat seams when piecing. Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteI feel like I should try it again. When I tried Aurifil earlier I had some kind of problem (maybe tension issues)? But, I did like that you need to change the bobbin less often than with my Guterman. The main downside is that it's not available from a local shop.
ReplyDeleteI've been using that standard (around here) Coats&Clark all purpose thread. I'm not sure if it's the reason for my machine not working, or what, but either way I have to take it to the fix-it man now!
ReplyDeleteAmy, such a thorough review! you have converts in my house. I'm off to Kate's website. cheers
ReplyDeleteLouisa
louisawright at optusnet dot com dot au
As an Aussie ex-pat as of just recently, I always thought it was more expensive too! But wow, it's not... very impressive!! I think that gives us a one-up on the Americans?? I've just used some for the first time too and the main thing I noticed first was how smooth it went through my machine, espcially compared to the cheap poly thread I was using just before!
ReplyDeleteI have tried the Aurifil 50wt and I do really like it for my quilting and pieceing. Most recently, I used it to do some straight-line quilting and I was happy that I only had to stop and refill my bobbin once :) I would really love to try some of the other weights of Aurifil, too, but my local shops only carry 50wt.
ReplyDeleteRead your review and yes I have read many reviews about this thread and so have been curious to try Aurifil. However could never find it anywhere so last time I was OS bought some to try. Only back a short time so haven't had time to try it yet, but you have got me even more curious. I have always used Guterman because it was a good thread that I could find but I do get a lot of lint but would love to try Aurifil especially as it is the same price and now I can get it over the Internet, Would love to try the tiny crochet you have done but need to improve my crochet first :-)
ReplyDeleteWOW...lots of great thready goodness...I usually can only afford the cheap stuff...which is often not great!!
ReplyDeleteWhen I started quilting I stocked up on cheap cotton "quilting" thread from the craft store. It's terrible. It snaps on the machine, doesn't wind cleanly, likes to cause tension issues...yuck. BUT, I have tons of it and I feel like I ought to use it (since it does hold reasonably well IN an actual quilt. Once I get out of that thread purgatory, I'll be looking for something else. This sounds like a great choice.
ReplyDeletemrsdragonswares AT gmail DOT com
hmm i'm wondering about your rattle amy... do you use the small spool holder when you sew? have you tried turning it so the triangular bits point in towards your thread so it holds it there tightly?
ReplyDeleteHi Amy, I've always used Gutterman because I can get it from Spotlight. I've only heard good this about Aurifil....time to bite the bullet I think! Hope I win some of yours!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the your review which gives me a bit more understanding of Aurifil. I always use Gutterman and Mettler, they are good 'friends' with my basic Bernina. I use poly thread for piecing and cotton thread for quilting. I have heard so much about Aurifil and would love to give it a try.
ReplyDeletejchiagan at yahoo dot com
Sung to the tune of Tina Turner
ReplyDeleteYour simply the best
Better than all the rest
Auriil your simply the best:):))
I've been using Guterman poly because that's what my first quilting teacher recommended, but the ladies I quilt with now are horrified that I'm using polyester thread and not cotton. After your glowing report (and my relationship with my quick unpick) I will definitely give Aurifil a go, thanks!
ReplyDeleteI read all of your post, promise! I had a break from quilting for about ten years. When we moved from the US to Ireland, I packed up all my Mettler thread--which was the suggested brand at my LQS when I was doing a lot of quilting & applique--and brought it with me. I almost chucked the container when we bought a new house 4.5 years ago but was so relieved to drag it out when the quilting bug bit again 2 years ago. The LQS here sells a mix of threads but I have been able to use Aurifil in my machine, and love it. I'd love to try it for applique, too!
ReplyDeleteI've been super curious about Aurifil thread and so glad you did a thorough review! I, like many others it appears, use Gutterman pretty much exclusively. I probably sew equal parts clothing for myself, kids clothing, and quilting, so I don't see myself getting rid of Gutterman for all the clothing I sew. I am curious if it is worth it for my quilts though.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post with lots of good information! I didn't realize there was more thread on the Aurifil than the Gutterman!
ReplyDeleteI have only used Aurifil for quilting, but I've only been quilting for less than a year. I'd love to have some colors other than white!
ReplyDeleteHi Amy,
ReplyDeleteMy TIPs for less rattling:
1. I always use the spool foam pad underneath the vertical spool.
2. I use a spool retaining disc on top of the vertical spool - with the cone-like pointy bit facing down (bit harder to slide on tho). The spool retaining discs that came with my Bernina are 3 different sizes. I find the small one good for vertical spools.
3. Fill a bobbin with thread and use that on the vertical spool (with the retaining disc pointing upwards). Make sure there isn't a gap between the disc and spool.
4. If you're bored one day or procrastinating about something, wind your aurifil on old/empty smaller spools.
5. Check the top thread tension levels. Sometimes if the tension isn't right it can cause the thread to go too slack between the spool and tensioner causing it to rattle.
6. If all else fails, turn up the music :)
Bell
I have read about Aurifil thread and too bad I can't find this brand from my local craft shop. I will choose other brand with a affordable price when purchasing a thread.
ReplyDeleteI have always wanted to try aurifil:) i want to know and see the difference in terms of quality compared to some random thread that I currently have haha
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Aurifil thread, mostly using the 50 cotton. Use it for piecing and FMQ on my Bernina.
ReplyDeleteMy local Bernina tech suggested putting the thread spools in a little plastic stretchy net (these come with the Bernina in the USA. They look like little onion bags). The wrap cradles the spool upright on the spindle and allows the thread to gently spool out. No noise, and it prevents the Bernina computer from thinking there is a mis-thread by spooling the thread a bit tighter, without slack. This little gadget smoothed out my working with the Bernina/Aurifil combo.
Also use Aurifil in my once yearly hand applique block for local charity. It's so thin and smooth--barely can see the stitching!
I use 50 wt Aurifil for piecing. I'd be interested in trying the 28 wt for machine quilting.
ReplyDeleteI'm newish to quilting so started with basic Guterman thread. Then my LQS suggested I try Mettler, which seemed finer and even better. After reading about Aurifil I finally bought some last spring when I visited our son in Kentucky. When I first started to thread it in my machine, I thought I must have bought the wrong weight but I checked and it was the same weight as my Mettler and Guterman threads. It was just so very fine! Anyway, I have been loving it and so does my machine. I especially like the difference when pressing open seams.
ReplyDeleteI use Mettler and Guterman for my dressmaking but would love to try out some Aurifil. I have not seen it in my local shops. There is a table runner project in the latest Machine Embroidery Magazine I have been reading and they recommend Aurifil Threads.
ReplyDeleteLiz
wow, such an extensive post! Thanks for all the information. I've never tried aurifil before, only guttemann (because that's what's available in all the shops)
ReplyDeleteHi Amy, I use Gutermann and Rasant, but would love to try the Aurifil - primarily because I am a very qualified reverse sewer and was very interested in your comments about unpicking!
ReplyDeletei'm a recent aurifil convert. i couldn't get the spool to fit on my machine at all so i just use it on the thread stand instead. i liked the mako thread for piecing so much that i just bought a cone.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI use Gutterman cotton. I was told in a quilting class to always use good quality cotton. I've heard a lot about Aurifil, I would love to give it a try. Thanks for the chance to win!
Gelia
argeliamorales at gmail dot com
I'm using Gutterman threads these days as much as I can. With no LQS within an hour's drive from me, there are times I have to head off to WalFart (in desperation when I've run out in the middle of a project) for thread, and have to use (shudder) Coats. I have rarely had anything but trouble with it (breaking, snagging, very uneven in weight throughout the spool). I haven't had a chance to try Aurifil yet, but it's on my list for my next trip to a real fabric store. Thanks for the chance to win some.
ReplyDeleteok... i didn't read thru all 111 comments... turn the spool holder gizmo around so the little "cone" faces toward the spool. that will help center that big holed aurifil spool on the spindle. if you are still having problems, get another one of those "stops" & put it on before the thread & after (I swear i have seen those little cones on their own, but i may be dreaming). As for aurifil thread... love at first sight early in my quilting venture.... wonderful stuff.... would love to find the wool locally to play with now that i am doing more handwork.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the AWESOME blog!! :-)
Thanks for the review and all the great testing that you did! I've used different threads including Guterman, but haven't found a favorite for quilting and piecing. I've always thought that Aurrifil was too expensive, but based on your review, I'll give it another look.
ReplyDeleteI am new to quilting so went with what seemed most available - Gutermann. A funny story - a friend had some trouble with her machine snapping her thread all the time. She took it off to be serviced. It kept snapping so she rang the man to complain (after checking her thread tension), and he asked her if she used cheap thread from spotlight. She was very embarrassed to say she did and swapped over to Gutermann immediately. I would love to try a new thread that you rate so highly.
ReplyDeletegreat review thanks. I have read about them but never tried them on h premise they were expensive and also not around down here in the Gong. I tend to stick with Gutterman as I use cotton when I sew with cotton and the range of colours seem limited, especially those on the big spools. Its great to see the Aurifil range of shades in all weights and spool sizes. Looks like I need to get a shade card, you enabler you....
ReplyDeleteGary
I use Aurifil for quilting but was totally unaware it came in so many colours, have only used white and cream. I still use guterman for all my other sewing as I have not been able to find Aurifil locally, so I still think of it as my special thread.
ReplyDeleteHaven't tried Aurifil yet, but it's on my shopping list though!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great review!
I usually use Gutermann, mostly because sometimes Spotties has it cheap and it was also often cheap in the States at Joann's. I tried some Sulky rayon and what a disaster! It was rotten. I also have tried King Tut on quilting and it has come up really well, less linty I think than Gutermann. I recently have tracked down some Aurifil and have just started using it to piece and quilt (though I only bought the 50wt).
ReplyDeleteI will admit it - I use coats and clark from Joanns. I have since I started sewing in 2010 and have been yelled at by a few people for it - including the woman I bought my machine from at Joanns, she wouldn't let me take the machine classes that come free with my machine because I wouldn't change thread - RUDE!
ReplyDeleteI am interested in MAYBE trying out a new thread... I do have issues with fuzz, but I also sew a lot of fleece and didn't know that I should/how to clean my machine. C'mon... I'm a newbie, and again, did not get my user classes!
Would love to try out Aurifil!
What a great read! I have to admit, I skimmed over this when you first posted, there have been so many Aurifil posts online, I'm so glad I came back to read it, what great information. I'm a Gutterman girl because it's the only decent thread I can buy locally, but now I'll order a couple of spools of the Aurifil online and try them out!
ReplyDeleteI had a similar thread experience to you. I stuck with Gutermann because I was told it was the best and it worked well. Then I decided to try Aurifil based on all the blog hype. Holy Moly, I LOVE IT! I've only tried 50wt so far but it has been excellent for piecing, paper piecing and quilting. My machine (Bernina 440) feels so much smoother quilting. I will never go back to my old threads (including some that I inherited from my Grandma, who knows how old they were!) and I am starting to build a collection of Aurifil. I am actually looking to try 12wt for hand quilting so am just about to check out the blog post that Sewjournal has mentioned above :) I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for this giveaway :)
ReplyDeleteI read all of your info on the thread. I usually just use cheap thread but I will try this Aurifil. Love your blog.
ReplyDeleteHey what helpful comments, really useful to a long standing - but infrequent - quilter and patch worker . I need to upgrade my cotton threads so this is all good info, cant wait to try Aurofil! - Cheers Kay
ReplyDeleteAmy. When considering thread, I've always thought of Aurifil as the Roll Royce, and that I'm more the Ford sedan, cost effective and adequate for the purpose. However, I now think I may need to reconsider, as I felt your article gave interesting comparisons, and maybe Aurifil is the Mercedes, the luxury and advantages exceed the ititial cost and are intriguing. I will definately try some out asap. As a recent discoverer of this entire world of blogging, and a recent convert to modern quilting style, I find it exciting to discover Badskirt and similar great sites, as I find it far more useful than wading through a book. Thank you for your time and effort. Margaret
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review - I have been reading many US blogs on Aurifil and was wondering when it would make an appearance in Australia. I have also been bulk buying my gutterman at spotlight with those handy vouchers but I would love to give the Aurifil a go (especially if it works out cheaper!)
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to try Aurifil for ages (I use Gutterman and cheap spotlight thread at the moment) but have been confused by which weight to use, how much they cost in comparison to the others, and where to buy them from Aus - so THANK YOU so much for the rundown on Aurifil - you have definitely persuaded me to try them, and from what most bloggers say, once I go Aurifil, I will probably never go back! :)
ReplyDeleteI read the entire post---it was beautifully written--extremely informative and (as usual) entertaining! You have convinced me to give Aurifil a try! Thanks, Amy!
ReplyDeleteI'm so late to the party, but notice the link to Kate's shop seems to have died - where do you buy your aurifil now?
ReplyDeleteI study this Industrial Webbing Supplier at school. For those with very similar activity, see this particular now: http://rosemonttextiles.com/
ReplyDelete