Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

on my desk.

Sneak Peek at What I've been up to...

My normal prolific-self appears to have slowed down, but it's because I've been holding back. I've been holding back this little gem that I'm working on for the Value Added Quilt Along that kicks off on Monday. Leila invited me to join hers and two other clever quilters to talk about how we use value (lights and darks) in making quilts.  Maybe you've never thought about value before? Or maybe you've thought value quilts were limited to half-square triangle bullseyes? (They aren't.)  Maybe you just want to learn a little more about how you can direct someone's eye in your quilting? Maybe you want to do a new kind of scrap busting by focusing on value instead of hue?   These are the kinds of things that we'll be talking about starting on Monday.  We'll also be offering four quilt tutorials over the next month.

Please don't feel limited by our tutorials though, we're excited to see any quilt pattern made with using value choices. We're excited to hear about value inspires you and any tips or tricks you have in working with value.  We'll be inviting all sorts of value-oriented quilts to the Value Added flickr group as inspiration, and inviting you to join  in the discussion.  Please do!


---
Before I roll into my value quilt over the next few weeks, I want to be sure to give credit where it's due. The inspiration for my value quilt came from this awesome one-patch quilt which was exhibited at the 2010 Tokyo Quilt Show. (Thank you, Jennifer and Jan, for helping me find the quilt maker and her details. You'll find more details via her websiteblog and Twitter account.The image below is shared from her Quilt Gallery via provided link. Have a peek! All of her quilts are gorgeous.) This quilt is called appropriately, Red Forest

The one patch blocks are laid out thoughtfully with a nod to all aspects of color. It is primarily hue-based having the warm tones oriented in one direction and the cooler tones in the other. The layout and use of a single shape is quite effective. I thought it would make a great design for a pure value study.


赤い森

Because the quilt along and follow up flickr group are called Value Added, I've changed things up ever so slightly to introduce some interlocking plus signs into my take on the quilt. Stay tuned as those details and many helpful hints will be coming in my tutorial.

Most importantly, I want to make my new Twitter friend, mochiboz, gets proper credit for her work as my source of inspiration. Although we have a language barrier, I can tell that she's a top lady. Humble too, she credits her teacher for helping her out... none other than the wonderful Suzuko Koseki. Make sure you follow mochiboz's blog and website if you like quilts, cats or sometimes both!
----

I'm excited about the value study. I hope you are too. We kick off on Monday. See you then!


4 comments:

  1. I love your quilt and think this will be an exciting quilt-along, even if I do feel sort of personally offended by your "half-square triangle bullseyes?" dig. :) I tend to analyze what makes quilts "work" and like to study my favorites to figure out what's going on in terms of colors, composition, scale, etc. so that I can bring the attributes that move me into my work.
    Lastly, I think you take the most wonderful pictures of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely no offense was intended, and I'm mortified that any might have been taken. I've made an HST bullseye quilt myself. I certainly wasn't implying there was anything wrong with them. My intent was to say that value can be used in number of other ways. Apologies, I promise it wasn't meant to sting.

      Delete
  2. Hey, Amy! Looking forward to your Quilt Along, as the value thing interests me a lot. I pore over Suzuko Koseki's books, studying her use of light and dark, trying to understand it, so I'm sure the insights you, Leila and the others share will be very helpful.

    Thank you so much for the links to mochiboz. In addition to her other great work, on her blog she has a lap quilt made out of Suzuko Koseki's latest cheater, the same one I just used for a pouch. Though it's simple, the quilt is fantastic! I'm following mochiboz now, too and look forward to her future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing work! I'm also looking forward to your quilt along.

    ReplyDelete

You are a rockstar! Thanks so much for your comments!