Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Value Added




Welcome to Value Added!  A six week celebration of using value in quilting. During this quiltalong, we'll be exploring the value component of color and how it can be used to effectively in patchwork.  This is the brainchild of Leila from Where the Orchids Grow.  I feel lucky to have teamed up with Leila, Rachel and Jolene to bring you a short series which will hopefully help you better understand your quilts and your stash.

The quiltalong is comprised of three main components. First, we will do a week of value lessons on our blog. Following that, we will each present tutorials for our repetitive value quilts. (Don't worry! We'll explain what repetitive value is).  During that time, we'll be fielding questions, offering advice and learning from you in the Value Added flickr group. We encourage you to work on a value quilt to put the principles from the lessons into practice. You are welcome to make one of our quilts or try out another pattern with value in mind. On November 30th, we'll check back in with a linky party to see what everyone has made. Read it, Do it, Love it!


This week kicks off with our value lessons:
  - Tuesday 23rd - Understanding Value with Leila at Where the Orchids Grow
  - Wednesday 24th - Leading the Eye with Amy at Badskirt
  - Thursday 25th - Value Patterns with Rachel at Stitched in Color
  - Friday 26th - Value Dynamics with Jolene at Blue Elephant Stitches

Tutorials begin the week of October 29th spread out across our blogs. Each contributor has made a repetitive value quilt to help illustrate use of value in a quilt. I'm really excited about each of them. I had a hard time focusing on my own project because I wanted to jump off and start working on the others! My own tutorial will be the quilt in the opening of this post. Look at the beauties from the other girls!





As the Australian, I get the advantage of first marks on kick off post giving you first eyes on these gems! Be sure to pop over to visit Leila, Rachel and Jolene to let them know how gorgeous their quilts are. 

Please come join us on the flickr group! We'd love to see any previous projects that you've worked on with value in mind. We'd also love to here about any insights or challenges you have when it comes to understanding color an it's components. Who's in?  Are you ready to talk about values with us?!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting - I'm madly hoping I can squeeze in the attention this project deserves! Thanks to all the girls for their time!
    Hugs - Lurline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to this - do I need another distraction from my current WIPS - you betcha!

    ps a couple of links in the 'this week kicks off' list need changing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think they are all fixed now. The perils of going first!

      Delete
  3. They are all gorgeous quilts! The whole quiltalong sounds very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love your design! I am very excited to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the quilt top you made. I could just look at it all day.

    ReplyDelete

You are a rockstar! Thanks so much for your comments!